Giving back to a school or institution that has impacted our lives is something to which many of us aspire. However, all too often, financial and family demands make such a gift impossible.
However, planned giving, can allow you to fulfill your financial obligations as well as make a major gift. Some frequently asked questions about planned gifts include:
Q: What is a planned gift?
A: A planned gift is a carefully thought out donation using one of several special methods of giving.
Q: What are those special methods?
A: They are:
Remembering a school, hospital, department or program in your will is a common way to make a significant gift. Wills are relatively uncomplicated and easy to set up. Click here
to view the LSUHSC Foundation bequest language.
Trusts are unique financial vehicles which hold assets for later disbursement. They allow regular payments of income and offer very attractive tax advantages.
Q: How do I know which method will work for me?
A: Our staff will be pleased to discuss all this with you confidentially. However, you will always want to consult your own tax and investment advisors! You control the process. Click here
for staff contact information.
Q: What are the benefits of making a planned gift?
A: There are many, they include:
Q: Can I choose where my gift will go?
- Planned gifts will almost certainly allow you to make a much larger gift than you ever thought possible.
- Most types allow a very significant income tax advantage.
- You have much greater control over the use of your gift.
- You receive the satisfaction of making a large gift during your lifetime.
- You will also be recognized in our LSU Health Sciences Center Legacy Society.
A: Yes. You may choose to designate your gift to a specific school, center, department or program. Gifts are contributed to the LSUHSC Foundation and held exactly for the purpose you explain in writing.
Q: I am worried abut my spouse. Will he/she be taken care of if I make this gift?
Gifts Other than Cash
- Many of the methods outlined on this website provide regular income which goes to whomever you designate.
- The income tax savings provides additional income or investment opportunity.
- Special provisions in several of these methods allow for special care for family members.
Trusts and bequest can be established with stock, property, art, jewelry and other valuables. Quite often, tangible items can be attractive to donate due to low re-sale profits as opposed to tax considerations.
to learn more about these different types of gifts or contact us